Pages

Friday, April 4, 2014

Reflection #1 - Unit Q

24) What does it actually mean to verify a trig identity? To verify a trig identity, it means that it is true and you must prove that it is true by solving through and making x=x. We can't "touch" or move anything on the right side. The left side just equal the right side and if it does, we have verified the trig function.
25)What tips and tricks have you found helpful? A couple tips I found helpful is converting everything to cosine and sin, and working from there. When converting everything to sin and cos, we have more options to figure it out. I also found it helpful to take out a GCF and that helps make the problem simpler.
26)Explain your thought process and steps you take in verifying a trig identity.  Do not use a specific example, but speak in general terms of what you would do no matter what they give you. My thought process when working out a trig function is: 1) I look at the equation and check if there is a GCF to factor out. 2) I look for an identity. 3) If there is an identity, I substitute the identity and hope something will cancel out. If things do cancel out, then I try to look for something simple like costheta, and try to substitute it for 1/sec. When doing that, I hope something else cancels out and if it does, I try to simplify the rest.

No comments:

Post a Comment